How do I know when my child is ready?
Here are some signs for being ready for the big potty training
accomplishment for both you and your child.
1. Your child is walking and can sit for short periods of time
2. Is becoming generally more independent when it comes to
3. Is becoming interested in watching others go to the toilet (this can be
awkward or make you uncomfortable at first, but it is a good way to
4. Has dry diapers for up to two hours-this shows he is able to store pee
pee in his bladder (which automatically empties in younger babies or
5. Tells you (or shows obvious signs) when he/she does a poo or wee in
his diaper-if he can tell you before it happens, he/she is ready for
6. Begins to dislike wearing a diaper, perhaps trying to pull it off when
it’s wet or soiled.
7. Has regular, soft, formed bowel movements
8. Can pull his/her pant up and down
9. Can follow simple instructions, such as “Give the ball to Daddy” and
shows understanding about things having their place around the
Not all of these signs need to be present when your child is ready but
a general trend will let you know it’s time to start
You should decide if you want to use a potty chair or the toilet. The
advantage of a potty chair is that you can take it with you and your
child may feel more comfortable with their own potty chair. A regular
toilet sometimes is scary even if you have a child seat with handles
on it. You will also need a step for our child to get up to the toilet.
Your child might enjoy decorating his own potty chair and ask him/her
to sit on it with or without a diaper.
A good idea before you begin is to read a book or watch a video, with
your child, about toilet training. There are some fun children’s books
that your child might like that talk in childlike terms about toilet
Also, put on training pants or training diapers to familiarize your child
with pulling under pants up and down.
Some children respond to incentives such as stickers, stars, a small
toy or a trip to a favorite park. If you child resists your efforts after a
few weeks, give up, wait a few months and try it again.
Our next blog will get down to the nitty gritty of every day POTTY
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Enter total 324 + 2
© Copyright 2017 by Michael Zederbaum Web Design